Round Square International Conference 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Who it was for
Round Square is a global association of 180 schools across six continents. These schools share a common philosophy of education that talks to an academic framework that takes students beyond the classroom and focuses on character education. The Round Square philosophy of education is best described through the underpinning concepts known as IDEALS: a commitment to International Understanding, Democracy, Environmental Stewardship, Adventure, Leadership and Service.
A number of conferences for student delegates from participating schools take place annually in different parts of the world, but the international conference is the largest and most demanding to organise, as the programme requires investment in activities that cultivate the spirits of the IDEALS. A successful conference has a life-long positive effect on the future leaders of our world.
In 2017, 3 Cape Town Round Square Schools (St Cyprian’s School, Bridge House and St George’s Grammar School) were the hosts of the African Conference and Grosvenor was appointed as the local conference organiser.
How many guests
The conference was attended by 1200 delegates from 160 schools. The delegations from each school comprised senior students, teachers, school governors and school principals.
The flow of the program
It was a six-day conference with the first 3 days taking the form of a plenary session at the Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC), and the last 3 days taking place at the individual schools.
- Welcome Celebration event at the CTICC – entertainment provided by students from the 3 host schools.
- An Amazing Race through the V&A Waterfront.
- An Adventure Day where delegates participated in a variety of activities such as hiking up Table Mountain, a visit to Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden, mountain biking, surfing and sea kayaking.
- A Service Day – delegates could learn about global citizenship, community engagement and develop a deeper understanding of the world’s problems and experience a new culture
- A traditional African dinner at Gold Restaurant
- A social dinner at Dieu Donne in the Cape Winelands
- An outdoor Food truck dinner with beautiful views of Table Mountain
Feedback from the client
“Every member of the Grosvenor team showed graciousness and an efficiency that was outstanding, despite the demands, the long days and the equally long evenings. I sincerely commend them for what was ultimately achieved – an outstanding conference and many happy and motivated delegates, many of who have vowed to return to Cape Town in future.
I am delighted to recommend Zelda, Peter-John and Grosvenor Tours to anybody needing to organise a conference. I have great faith in their ability to deliver a service at the highest levels.”
– Sue Redelinghuys
Principal: St Cyprian’s School
Round Square African Trustee